Friday, June 19, 2009

New Word - Workaholism

You know, I'm starting to realize that I may be a workaholic.....

I've always thought the term applied to people who spend all their time at work. To me they were always those people who spend a ridiculous number of hours sitting at their desks in their office. To me the purpose was always to earn more money, and in the process they neglect their wives and their kids and are generally frowned upon....

but now, I'm thinking there's something deeper to it.....that maybe they are not working for the money or just to climb the corporate ladder......but maybe it's a cowardice of sorts, because I see it in myself

Maybe it's just like how people are addicted to alcohol and drugs. True there is a physiological side to all of it, but part of the reason (and I suppose here, coz I've never been addicted to those things) is that they see it as an escape from their problems. It's something they can immerse themselves in and not have to deal with their circumstances.

And more and more I'm thinking that's how I approach my schedule. I fill it up to the brim with things to do not because it's truly essential or because it's truly important, but it's an excuse for me to ignore all my actual problems. I have an excuse to shove them aside and say I have more pressing things to deal with, and I have an excuse to neglect things because I have more urgent things that demand my time.......

Cowardly? Yes, very much so..........

1 comment:

  1. not a good thing but... welcome to the club

    ReplyDelete